Tankless water heaters heat water instantly for a variety of uses around the home. However, as with any other appliance, there are several pros and cons of tankless water heaters that may influence your decision on whether one is right for you. To help you decide, the professional plumbers here at Right Away Plumbing thought that we should list out those benefits and detriments for our loyal customers.
Wait a Minute! What are Tankless Water Heaters in the First Place?
Okay, maybe we got ahead of ourselves a little bit. Before we talk about the pros and cons of tankless water heaters, we should probably first describe what they are.
Tankless water heaters, like their tanked counterparts, heat water with a heating element powered by natural gas, propane, or electricity. However, unlike tanked water heaters, tankless varieties do not store hot water in a tank for you to use later. Instead, they heat water on an on-demand and instantaneous basis.
Okay, now that we’ve got that description out of the way, let’s get back on topic. Here are the pros and cons of tankless water heaters, as seen by our professional plumbers:
The Pros of Tankless Water Heaters
Here are the advantages of tankless water heaters, as seen by our plumbing professionals:
- Instant Hot Water: Perhaps the most significant benefit to tankless water heaters is that they provide instant hot water! No more waiting for the water to get warm before you hop in the shower or start a load of dishes!
- Smaller Form-Factor: Since tankless water heaters have no need for a storage tank, they take up a lot less space than their conventional counterparts. So, you can install a tankless water heater in several places that a traditional tanked model just wouldn’t fit in your wildest dreams. The small form-factor also makes tankless water heaters an attractive option for tiny homes, a granny unit, and other smaller living situations.
- More Energy-Efficient: Tankless water heaters don’t waste energy keeping water, that they’ve already heated, hot. Instead, they only heat up water on an on-demand basis. So, when you’re not using hot water, your water heater is just sitting there, not using any energy. The increased efficiency of tankless water heaters also makes them one of the greenest methods of heating water (besides solar and heat pump water heaters, that is).
The Cons of Tankless Water Heaters
As with any other piece of technology, tankless water heaters come with their own list of less-than-stellar problems. The cons of tankless water heaters include:
- Expensive to Install: Since tankless water heaters are inordinately complicated devices, installing them takes longer and costs more than traditional water heaters.
- Capacity: Perhaps the biggest drawback of tankless water heaters is their capacity. They just can’t keep up with high-demand situations. For example, if more than one or two people decide to take a hot shower at the same time, a tankless water heater may have trouble keeping up.
Now That You Know the Pros and Cons of Tankless Water Heaters, is One Right for You?
Is a tankless water heater right for you? Unfortunately, only you can answer that question. For help, just weigh the pros and cons of tankless water heaters as we’ve listed out for you here. If you still need help deciding, you can always contact us for more information. Or, if you’ve decided you’d like a tankless water heater in your home or business, then give us a call. We’re always happy to help our customers get the water heater experience they’ve always wanted!